[at-l] Reporting from the Village of Delaware Water Gap

Reposted with permission from kendall
original post date this tuesday

Reporting from the Village of Delaware Water Gap,
Pennsylvania, MR. ED
says.....

The following hikers passed through DWG
this week.  Most were in good spirits and
had the look of a puppy after it's first
dunk in the lake....wet, confused, awkward
and shaky.  One hiker said he was doing just
fine except that his right leg was totally numb.
It made him walk funny, which he didn't mind,
except that now his left leg was also going
completely numb.  As a result of all this numbness
one leg was a Southbounder and the other was a
Northbounder.  He was sure he could solve this
problem with a new backpack.  His mom was sending
him $600.

Coach
Big Poppo
The Messenger
Seeker
Long Stride
Nyamazela
Lynx
Not Yet
Chris
Dragon's Breath
Hunes
Piper
Samson
Druid
Poppa Bear
Delilah the dog

Delilah was on a lead.  However the owner did
not bother holding the other end of the lead....so
 Delilah was free to roam around occasionally getting
her lead caught on a stump and giving her a brief case
of whiplash and a short experience of THE BIG CHOKE.
Mostly the mutt was a bag of bones who laid sleeping
quietly in the street hoping to be run over I suspect.
She too, had an encounter with another village dog
and came up short.  The village dog is beginning to
enjoy these encounters with weakened near-death trail
dogs and is gaining a reputation it has never known.
Old timers are now referring to this dog as
"the killer poodle of DWG."

The weather in the East has been wet for 10
days now and there has been no thunder or
lightening to speak of....just intervals of
soft rain.   The most frequently asked question
lately is:  "Is there a good place to put my boots
where they can dry out?"  Some of the more ingenious
town folks are thinking of building a room-sized
microwave to be placed at the trailhead.  Hikers
could walk into the thing and for a quarter get z
apped for 30 seconds and walk out looking like a
model from an L. L. Bean hiker catalog.  They are
thinking about applying for one of those TRAILPLACE
grants for trail towns collected from thru-hikers.....
are these the same guys who can't figure out how to l
eave a 15% tip down at the diner?....so they just skip
the tip altogether?

There were three Pilgrims in church this week.
Can we think of all hikers as Pilgrims?... folks who
take the big hike in order to deepen their sense
of spirituality, not that
"holy-spirit-foot-washing-evangelical-shout-Jesus
spirituality", but the kind of spirituality in which
the hiker seeks to experience the essential self --the
real self as it rubs softly against the natural world
and it's critters, and interacts with other strange
members of the human race....a world where the only
mirrors are the reflections we see when we effect
others or the mirror image of ourselves we see
sitting alone in a dark shelter.  A lot of trail
conversation has to do with what is good and WHO
is good and genuine, and what is otherwise.  A lot
of trail thinking and feeling has to do with how
good and genuine am I.  Is there a worthy spirit
inside of this shabby, smelly, exhausted, hungry,
 thirsty being?

These three Pilgrims in church had varying degrees
of worship experience:
one knew well the Apostles Creed, The Lords Prayer,
and the Gloria....He spoke and sang with volume and c
onfidence.  The second Pilgrim knew some...a little.
The third Pilgrim knew nothing.  After worship I sat
down on the pew with the third Pilgrim and asked him
if he was doing okay or had any personal problems.
He leaned close to my ear, tears forming in his eyes,
dropping down to his knees, and in an quiet stuttering
whisper he said:
"Have you EVER seen a blister that looks like this??"
Amen and AMEN.