[at-l] RE: Glucosamine, Chondroitin & Osteoarthritis

Greetings,

Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate are two dietary supplements
that are believed, based on European research but just testimonials in
the U.S., to foster the growth of or halt the loss of cartilage in
joints suffering from osteoarthritis.  My orthopedic surgeon swears by
the stuff, saying it has greatly improved his football-impaired
arthritic shoulder.   I'm 33 and have a moderate amount of
osteoarthritis of the knees and hips from overuse, and I have been
taking 3000mg of Glucosamine Sulfate and 900mg of Chondroitin Sulfate
daily for about two months.  My knees seem to have improved somewhat;
can't tell about the hip because a ruptured disk keeps the nerves firing
in that area.  My father, who at 60 has advanced osteoarthritis, has
been taking a similar dosage for about six weeks and has noted mild
improvement.  My doctor said it takes a few months to notice a marked
improvement.

My ortho told me to take the stuff for the rest of my life.  I'm taking
it more to stave off future deterioration in my joints rather than to
address present discomfort.  For the average hiker not suffering from
osteoarthritis that is seeking a substance to keep the pain and swelling
down in the knees, I don't think these supplements are right for them.

You can get Glucosamine and Chondroitin from your local GNC or health
food store.  It's a bit pricey and I mail order or net order from JoMar
Labs http://www.jomarlabs.com/index.htm