Re: [at-l] knees

JanLadd@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I have had three knee surgeries and one thing I should not do is use
> the stairs...
> limited to bike riding... walking and swimming.. the hiking I do
> occassionally and then I take
> care of my knee with boots that fit and wearing the proper backpack
> and having a brace for just
> in case.
>
> Then another thing I was told not to do was to be on a bench and put
> extra weight on my knee.
> But to do leg lifts without the extra weight helps.. the important
> thing is to strengthen the
> quad to give support. I have been riding a bicycle and that has helped
> to strengthen my muscles
> more than any other exercise I have done.
>
> I also take some of the over the counter anti-inflametories. And for
> the past two years have
> been taking gluecosimine sulfate. That has really helped me so much
> that I am ready to hike on a
> section soon.

You have a very different problem than most hikers with sore knees. Your
surgeries and the physical therapy prescription you were given are
related to your injuries and deficits.

Swimming and biking can be excellent, given the repetitive movement
without a great deal of weight bearing and joint trauma. You are very
correct about the need for strenthing your quads. As that is the muscle
group involved in the downhill pain.

I find it very interesting the amount of faith and endorsement in cloth
and elastic braces, especially for warmth. The glucosamine fad is very
interesting, but I wonder if it will go the way of DMSO of just a few
years ago. The less colorful and trendy suggestion of conditioning and
injury prevention (an ounce is worth a pound of cure) just doesn't get
such thrilling endorsements.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA