Re: FW: [at-l] knees

Owen wrote:

> I'd bet money that there haven't been any studies done on this - but
> that doesn't mean it's not real.  Back in 68 there hadn't been any
> studies done on the addictive effects of nasal sprays - and in 87 I
> don't think there had been any studies done on aspirin allergies.  In
> both cases, the doctors that I talked to wrote those papers shortly
> after I talked to them.  Maybe it's time for you to write a paper on
> the
> synergistic effect of Ibuprofen (or Tylenol) and hiking???  You're a
> Dr.
> and a hiker - it's a natural.  ;-)

I suspect there are studies on this, in sports medicine and sports rehab
literature. I also know that addictive effects of nasal sprays have been
known at least since in late 1800's, when cocaine was commonly used as a
decongestant and stimulant. Overuse adrenergic drugs applied to mucous
membranes have made $ for ENT's for decades. Aspirin allergies are also
well known and documented for many decades. Aspirin allergies are
classic markers for asthma, nasal polyps, and other allergic related
events.

The problem remains that overuse injuries are related to:
	1) poor conditioning and planning
	2) trauma from falls
	3) trauma from overuse and failure to attend to warning signs (pain)
	4) deterioration due to malnutrition.
	5) and other factors.

It is always a good idea to attend to the warning of pain, and do
something about it, even when that something means rest and nuturing.
Substituting such judgement with analgesics, vitamins, or stubborn
denial will reap disaster.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA