Re: Re: [at-l] knees

In a message dated 6/16/98 11-18-04, thornel@ibm.net wrote:

>easiest and most available exercise to help you knees (and general
conditioning
>for hiking) is to make elevators off limits. Particularly, take every
>opportunity to walk up stairs

Bill, somewhere I seem to recall that walking up stairs can be hard on knees.
Sorta like step exercise. Is this not so? A woman in my building walks the
stairs a lot and recently had knee surgery--we all assumed it was from walking
up the stairs so much, but maybe not. I'll ask. Do you know more about this,
as I've been kinda afraid to walk stairs.

>Other exercises include knee extension work, preferably with some weight.
>Sitting on a bench wearing you boots and straightening your legs and holding
>them would do well.

Until recently I have been used a cybex machine for both hamstrings and quads,
but my knees have been sore after hiking, and I stopped, not knowing if the
weights would make things worse. Do you know? I'm asking you these doctor-like
questions because I also seem to recall that you're a doctor. Knees aren't the
only things geezers have trouble with--memory is a problem too. ;-) Sally