Re: [at-l] Trip report/seen the "light"

In a message dated 6/15/98, 3:35:59 PM, Fourwh1021@aol.com writes:
<<So there you have it.  I wimped out.>>

I have to add something to this report.  She didn't wimp out.  I *made* her
turn around.  Her back was raw and blistered and welted due to the ill fitting
pack.  I have no experience with internals, and incorrectly assumed that since
Toney and her were the same approximate height that the pack would fit mom.  I
was wrong. I know better now.  But deciding to go back instead of going on was
my choice - she just kept looking up, and walking on.  It took some
convincing.

Now, sitting around camp that night discussing gear, Tom, a friend from the
ATML, noticed that a lot of my gear is no longer available, and we joked about
it.  Like my boots, my tent, and my pack.  So later, when I got out my trusty
"Central and Southern Virginia" trail guide, he started laughing.  I was like,
what??  He said "They don't even make your guide anymore" LOL LOL.  So I think
the moral of this story is I need some updated gear <g>.  Like one of those
cool titanium pots he had - less than half the weight of mine.  (my cook set
is also old, and also heavy LOL)  I figure with a new bag and a new tent, I
can drop at least 5 pounds right there.  A lightweight cookset . . .  I see
all sorts of 'lighter" possibilities.

(by the way, she didn't really toss her thermarest <g>)  So Sunday, we ran
into a few of the crew <g>, imagine our surprise at seeing Chase at the top of
the trail.  The rest of them (WoodElf, Ratboy, Outta Chocolate and Mt Roamer)
weren't too far behind.  So we had a pleasant visit, and gave Outta Chocolate
and Mt Roamer all the food we had left over.  So - it didn't turn out as
planned, but we learned some important lessons (and I discovered that I really
don't need to carry 50 pounds, which I was, but still . . . I have to get that
weight down) and had a great night in the woods, excellent company, and then
the added extra of running into part of the gang.  We are already looking
forward to the next time <g>.  And it will be so much easier (and less
driving) when she moves here in August :)

The Redhead
Ga > Me  00