[at-l] seen the "light"

Warning Warning...
Patty you are about to enter the danger zone!
You said you are desperate to find a pack.
I know this feeling and it can end in trouble.
Right now you are thinking extremely light,
which is good!  But don't forget that you'll
probably be carrying a lot more clothes when
you start.  Picking a pack to fit yourself is
important, but your gear still has to fit into
it.  I've 'solved' this problem by having two
packs.  One day and a half that just accomadates
the basic for warm weather hiking (2 lbs). And another
with room for a real sleeping bag & winter warm stuff
(5lbs).
If you don't wnat to do that, wait until after some
cool weather hikes to buy your pack.  That way you
have a firm idea of how big a pack you'll need to
start at Springer in the spring.  Plus, don't forget
to allow room for food.  Sometime during your hike,
you will be carrying five days of food which takes up
a lot of room.  And finally, as you develop your
trail-ready body, you should find it easier to carry
weight.  You might actually end up adding things
to your pack.  IMHO, now is not the time to make a final
pack choice.  Kahley