[at-l] Re: ATML knee support

CHoover241@aol.com wrote:
> Suggestion was to keep it warm.....not supported.  With lack of an
> arthritic
> brace, and with his suggestion, I used a loose fitting ace
> bandage..with
> plenty of sports creme underneath which I reapplied at regular times.
>
> To my delight, this worked...I felt some pain going down, but not like
> I had
> and was again enjoying the movement of going down the way I used to.
> After 60
> miles, it still worked.  I came home with no knee pain and hiked with
> relief.

I suspect that your improvement has more to do with your improved
conditioning and how you managed the terrain. The downhill knee pain is
a very familiar sign, and indicates a lack of conditioning. The support
of an ACE bandage is inadequate to do all that much to aid the joint,
and warmth is not the issue. Believe me, if you are not having symptoms
of claudication in your walking (lack of oxygen to muscle characterized
by terrific pain below the arterial narrowing) you have more than
adequate blood supply to the joint.

However, if the ACE works for you, hike your own hike. It certainly
won't hurt. Climbing stairs, hiking, and managing your pack weight are
great ways to avoid the problem, also.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA