[at-l] Trip report/seen the "light"

First I'd like to thank all of you who sent so many well wishes on my first
overnight.  It was very sad, but I will say up front I am not discouraged in
any way.

Here's what happened.

It was threatening rain as we left the Motel Sat morning, but as we got close
to where we were leaving Redheads car the sun came out and it was hot.  I took
this as a good omen and my spirits were high.  We dropped her car at Tye River
and headed over to our start point.  The Redhead said we would have a ways up
but the last 6 miles would be all downhill.  We figured we would stop for a
break at Maupin Fields shelter, stop again for lunch, and see how things went.
We thought there was a chance to do the whole 10 miles that day but I thought
that might be stretching it.

We started out ok, but the internal pack I was carrying was cutting into my
shoulders pretty bad...I figured this must be normal and kept puffing
along...hunching forward more to compensate.  It seemed like a few hours
passed, maybe 3, and I was ready for a break.  But the trail was still very
narrow and steep, really no where to sit.  I told the Redhead I needed a
break.  I was gasping pretty loud, but heard her say "stop for a minute, blank
blank, adjust your pack, blank blank, we've gone, blank blank, 8 miles."  Well
I was thrilled!!  8 miles.  And yea I was really hurting, pack was rubbing a
blister on my back, but what the heck...

So we stopped and she looked at my back and I was stunned when she said "Mom
maybe we should go on back.  This pack is not right and your back looks pretty
bad."  So I said "why in the world should we go back with only two miles to
go?  If I did 8 miles this quick I can make it.  We just need a place to take
a break, but I am confused cause I thought you said the last 6 miles or so was
down hill?"

She looked at me kind of sad and said "Mom I said POINT 8 miles."  :)

The short version is, I tried to keep going but once up top, going down was no
easier on my back.  Shoulders were screaming and I just could not get the
weight to rest any on my hips.  So we went back to the jeep, drove back to the
Redheads car and had a great time camping out, cooking steaks, meeting new
friends (and ones we already knew.)  It felt like old home week the next day
when we met Chase on the trail.  We sat down by a nice section of water and
soon were joined by Outta Chocolate, Mountain Roamer, Woodelf and Ratboy.

Another disappointment was that the outfitters were closed Sunday where I had
intended to try some packs out.  But the good news is....my new boots were
great, I loved being out there,  I didn't get scared that night, and we only
had one rain shower which felt great cause it was so hot out.  I have a hugh
blister on my back, poisen Ivy on my toes (need to wear socks with my
sandals<g>) but am still satisfied that I got as far as I did.  I definitly
learned I have a long way to go before I'm back in good physical condition,
and I need a pack sized for me. I also learned that "light is right".  My new
gear list will look something like this....

First aid kit; two band-aids and some moleskin.  (I'll get the band-aids with
anti-bacterial stuff already on them.

Kitchen; beer can stove (woodelf will show me how to make it).  One titanium
pot, fork and spoon.  Sierra cup.  Bladder from a wine box.  32 oz nalgene.
Water purifier tablets.

pack (very small) polypad, (anyone want a new self inflating therma-rest it's
out by the trail near Maupin Field shelter :0 ) space blanket and rain poncho
that will double as my tarp at night.

clothes: what I'm wearing, one pair of sox, something like duafold long johns.

misc;  tiny penlight, supertool, maybe some soap.  Won't need shampoo or comb,
am going to shave my head to save weight.  In the cold weather I may consider
gloves and a sleeping bag.

So there you have it.  I wimped out.  But I do not concede defeat!!  I will
see you on the trail!!  I will be the one with the itsy bitsy pack. <g>

Patty
Ga > Me 00