Re: [at-l] snake phobia/tarps

Over the years, I have heard some very funny but totally untrue comments
about snakes. Here are a few that I remember right off.

The skin of a snake is more poisonous than its bite. Just touching a
snake can kill a grown man.

Snakes always are found in pairs. If one snake is killed the other will
track down the killer and "avenge" the death.

If a car runs over a snake, it will jump up and wrap around the  axle. As
soon as the driver steps out of the car the snake will attack.

A Coachwhip ( a name loosely applied to the black snake as well as others
) will bite a person and then proceed to beat the poor dude with its
tail.

Looking into the eyes of a snake will hypnotize a person.

If a snake's head is cut off, its body will continue to wiggle until the
sun sets.

I don't know why snakes seem to be the most hated of all creatures. Maybe
it has to do with their secretive lives. Snakes are not the smartest of
varmints. In order to hunt successfully, as well as not get eaten their
own selves, they must remain undetected. I believe this is why they tend
to remain very still in the presence of people. They are trying to be
invisible. BTW, snakes are on the regular menu of a bunch of other
critters. Once as a kid, I was frog gigging and I found a 15 inch water
moccasin inside a big old toad!

It is a little disturbing to me that folks who are genuinely concerned
about the environment, who contribute money to buy up land to be
conserved, who want to see the wolf or bear of mountain lion have a place
in nature, will kill a poor old snake just because it is in the trail. I
bet that if we'd examine our fears a little bit, we'd react differently.
Hopeful