[at-l] Showers and Trail Crews

solar powerd water pumps...
On my very first trail crew (Colorado Trail, W. Jefferson Loop, 1986),
the U.S.F.S. ranger for that district packed in one of those Mexican
water heaters (about 2 1/2 miles uphill to our base camp)...all we had
to do for a hot shower was put a little dry wood in it, light it up,
and wait a few minutes.  He also laid a hose down to the spring and
put a pump on it so we didn't even have to haul our own water...And,
he put one of those valves on the shower head, so we could adjust the
water and not have to make a choice between freezing cold or steaming
hot...this ranger really believed in supporting the trail crews...we
even had a cushioned toilet seat on the latrine....
Needless to say, I went back to Colorado on trail crew (about 9 more
times)... but I never saw this level of support again...but I went
back because the people I met were so wonderful and the scenery was so
terrific...where else can you get all that for $35.00 a week (plus
transporation costs)...
For those of you who haven't volunteered yet, you don't know what
you're missing...