Re: [at-l] snake phobia/tarps

At 9:19 AM -0700 6/13/98, Kathy Niccum wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am delurking ... yada,yada, yada,

Liked the tune...

Jose ..set up his new tarp for the first time.  THEN, he could not sleep
because he kept thinking that the snake was coming to get him. ... I NEED
that tent with floor!!

>Thanks,
>
>Kathy

----

Hi Kathy, nice name... at least my wife Kathy reminds me of that :)

Well I must admit, I do have a tent with a floor and screen. :)

When I was below Rag Mtn in Shenandoah I awoke and the tent was covered with
about 100 caterpillers. I heard the owl OK but cruch, crunch, crunch ...

and in NJ yea, I know they tell ya there ain't no rattlesnakes by rattlesnake
swamp trail...  haa.

I was on the AT in the meadow ready to put down the tent and that old rattler
was rattling away... forget about the 6 foot black racer snake that had
crossed the trail and had the two woman hikers in front of me frozen in
their tracks.. little did I know 2 hours later that rattler would be
saying hey buddy, stay off my turf ....  I must be popular.. a deer also
jumped out of the woods, did a great big prance act and snorted at me.

Even the porcupine gave me an eye.. At least no black bear that day - we
have several hundred up north  but they are tearing the houses apart below
the AT :)  easier pickens down there.  One home owner actually built a moat
and a drawbridge.. the fellow forgot bears know how to swim , the very
next day, he got a visit !!!  :(

Well, while I don't have a phobia... maybe about all those insects and
flies since I tent down near lakes often... hey give me my tent with
a screen and bottom.. if nothing else it keeps the ants away..

I admit.. when sleeping like a log.... having millepeds, and insects
crawling in
was enough for me to get my little isolation chamber when not near a shelter.

In the shelters, we just pet the mice.  :)

-tom 'hikenet' caggiano