Re: [at-l] I've always relied on the kindness of strangers...

>  I've been reading _Into Thin Air_ about the catastrophe on Everest in 1996
>  when several cimbers died in a sudden storm and thinking about the ways
>  that different groups of climbers did or didn't try to help the ones in
>  trouble (*very* good book, BTW.  The IMAX film they were shooting at the
>  time is in town and I'm going to go check it out).

We are going way off the AT. A few thousand miles and about 23,000 feet higher
the the highest point of the AT.

On Everest your live is in danger, all the time.  When you die up there, thats
were your body will stay. NOVA's gripping science adventure "Everest--The
Death Zone," is also a good show. It was shown on PBS.

I jush came back for seeing the IMAX "Everest" movie. If you have an IMAX
teather, in your city, it is great.

1.  <A HREF="http://macfreefilms.com/nonshocked.html">Everest</A>
2.  <A HREF="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest/">NOVA Online | Alive on
Everest</A>