[at-l] Maine: When You Arrive

Thru hikers who venture to town in Maine are sometimes alarmed by local
customs and local dialects.  I will attempt to highlight some of the
culture differences to minimize your shock.

Some vital tips:

When a Mainer says "I'm goin' up to Kittry", he means he's going from north
to south.

Don't be annoyed with our traffic congestion.  The tourists are to blame
for it.  There is no fast lane in Maine.  If you're in a hurry, stay home.

If he says he's going "Downeast", that means he's headed for points north,
possibly to the coast.

If you need directions from here to there, don't be surprised if he finally
says "You cant' get thaya from heara".  He might be right.

A good part of Maine's industry depends upon good forest management; they
don't like foreigners messing with their livelihood.  Don't be alarmed if
you see a bumper sticker that says "Against Cutting Trees?  Try Using
Plastic Toilet Paper"  Best to remove your "Greenpeace" decals.

"Get Useless in Eustis" is something you might hear.  No one knows the
origin of this saying, but it's true.  It is alleged that one general store
(combination Post Office, store, gas station, lottery machine, pay phone,
breakfast counter) also sports a public restroom.  It's located on the side
of the building.  If you're a local, you know what to do.  If you're a
"tourist", mercy on you.  As soon as you flush, you'll hear a loud blast on
an air horn.  As you exit the restroom, you'll be greeted by the
kneeslapping locals.  You're the entertainment for the day.

Logging trucks drive in the middle of the road whenever possible.  You have
to pull over.  (no joke)

Mainers don't take down Christmas decorations.  They just plug them in when
needed.

Regardless of what you say, many folks will reply "Huh?".  As soon as you
repeat yourself, you'll be interrupted with the answer you were seeking.

In some communities, the status of a family is measured by the number of
cars up on blocks in the front yard.

Here are some local words you will need in your vocabulary while visiting
our state:  (please note that many normally single syllable words are
pronounced with two or more in Maine)

Mainease Dialect			Translation

A-yuh					Yes
Suh					Sir, as in "No suh"
Cahr					Automobile
Traip-sin				Walking or hiking
Swill					Garbage
Bum-ba-shoot				Umbrella
Bugs					Lobsters
Skee-tas				Mosquito
Soda					Pop, softdrink, Coke
Tha-ya					Opposite of here
Mingies					No see um' or black flies
Dang flies				3 corner flies or deer flies
Humdidy				Fog that you can feel and cut through
Habar					Harbor

You'll hear more, don't worry.

Enjoy Maine, bring lots of Deet.

"Time-Maker" - Ern Grover
www.tick-tock.com

Need a lift?  207-324-8994

"I hope I die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like his
passengers."  anon