[at-l] Panorama Photo's

There was a (brief) discussion on 'the other list' on panoramic pictures.
          I thought people here might be interested in this as well.  Let
          me know if any of you are and I'll make some time to look at this
          software enough to be compfortable with recommending it (or not).

------start of post to "other list"-----------

>I for one am not willing to
>fork over the cash for a *REAL PANORAMIC* camera($2500 and up- the lens
>rotates 180* to catch the scene true to life) or the computer
>hardware/software( I think $600 is a minimum...) for that option, but some
>places to provide the service if you look around..

As far as software goes, I was given a copy of Live Picture's PhotoVista at
a conference not too long ago. I've only used it a few times and even then
not for anything more then playing around.  I haven't looked at it with
great detail to really try and break it, but it does do a good job of
lining up multiple images and piecing them together.  I did notice that it
did have trouble with pictures that overlapped a good deal, but handled the
ones that had only a portion overlapping quite well without having to play
with the settings.

One thing I noticed on their site was the ability to download new lens
settings (it uses information about the camera when piecing together the
photos)

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS PRODUCT - as I have not compared it with
anything similar and have not used it enough in order to make a fair
judgment. There's a 'self running demo' available at www.livepicture.com,
but i couldn't tell you if it has any useful information of not...

If people would like I could sit down with it in the next week and see what
it can do, but you'll have to let me know, 'cause I wasn't planning on it.

Oh and cost is $65.00 from their website (www.livepicture.com) and its on
both Mac & Win platforms.

-Chris Casciano
christopher.casciano@prudential.com