[at-l] re: Trail crews

>   I am considering volunteering my time for a couple of weeks, next
     year, to work with the AT trail crews, or ridgerunners.  Anyone out
     there done any time with the crews or RR's?  Any special
     qualifications to work with either?

Now here's a subject I like to talk about!  Crew is the funnest manual
labor I've ever done - camraderie similar to the relationships you develop
with strangers on a thruhike, only you stay in the same place with the
same people for a week, or series of weeks.

You should be prepared for hard physical labor, 8 hours/day, sometimes
in heat, sometimes in the rain.  Size does not matter.  An ability to work
as a team and accept direction from others (especially your crew
leaders) is essential.  Be conscientiousness about safety (yours and
others'), since you're working with potentially dangerous tools and
objects (like a "floating" 500-pound rock on a Griphoist-powered high
line).

But fun!  Like distance hiking, you've got to do it to really appreciate it.
Plus, if you do it well, you can show your work to your grandkids.

- Priest