[at-l] So, anyway

So, that's about the time ol' Mrs. Purtlebaugh'd  come out the back
screen door. It'd slam shut with a bang. She'd carry her laundry basket
over to the clothsline. Me and Johnny Shiflet would run and hide behind
the old tool shed. We were supposed to be pulling weeds from the flower
beds. We could hear her and Mrs. Thacker talkin' about the preserves they
were gonna make. I always hated the preserves. Mrs. Thacker said "Well,
you know the peaches ain't gonna mount to anything this year, Bea?" Mrs.
Purtlebaugh said "We'll just have to make do, I suppose." And they did.
Mrs. Thacker said "How are those boys doing on your flower beds?"
"Well, as good as they can, I believe" echoed off the garage next door.
If we had actually been pulling the weeds, I still wouldn't have been
doing as good as I could. This bothered me some. Not enough to keep me
from sneaking across the alley and into the Miller's garden for some
radishes. Mrs. Purtlebaugh let out a wonderful laugh that filled the
neighborhood with a smile. Everyone knew she was happy. That made
everyone happy, too. I snuck back into the yard, radishes in hand, and
started pulling weeds in the flower beds. The spring on the screen door
creaked its melody, then the door slammed shut again...

--
Felix
Quote of the Week: "Well, I wonder what you're doing???"