Re: [at-l] camera stuff

>2) I was thinking that I'd like to turn my fine hiking poles (Grivel Mont
>Blanc, got 'em through Climb High, look like the standard Leki deal) into
>a monopod mount like some brands have.  There is a screw recessed in the
>handle, I don't know the size offhand, but it looks like a pretty typical
>size.  Is there a way to get a screw that will screw into that but have a
>tripod guage mount on top, or something that can mate the two

The tripod mount hole on the bottom of most cameras is a standard 1/4 X 25
thread. That sise is readily available in your local hardware store. Have
you checked the screw that is already on the top of the pole? My Sherlock
Hiking staff has a camera screw under the top knob and it is a common
feature on many hiking poles. Also there are inexpensive ball heads which
allow you to tip the camera to any angle you want. Check the Campmore
catalog. Another option which doesn't require modifying your staff (and
works on the side of small trees, on top of large rocks, etc.) are the mini
tripods that you can get from Campmore (or your local Ritz Camera). They
can be attached to the staff while still folded via the velcro strap.

Saunterer
*photography is my thing - <http://www.northnet.org/jimbullard>