Re: [at-l] Remembering my first time on the AT

Coelura wrote:
<... anyone else care to share their first memory of the AT?>

Here's my story:

It was me, my brother and a buddy of mine going out for an early
December hike in GSMNP, from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap.  This was my
first real backpacking trip, and I had to rent all of my equipment from
UAB's student center. Needless to say, the pack wasn't a perfect fit.
My pack probably weighed 50 pounds.  All of my clothes were cotton.  I
had new Asolo boots with about 10 miles on them.  My outer layer was an
Air Force field jacket (heavy).  I forgot a sleeping pad.  I had
canteens hanging off of the back, and I was hauling two big Coleman fuel
canisters in my pack.  You're probably thinking "This guy was a real
idiot".  Well..... yes.  And I was a complete rookie.
    We didn't get a start until about 12:30 at Newfound Gap -- we were
shuttled by the owner of Mountain Mama's and we just got a late start.
The weather was actually pretty mild considering the time of year, but
the trail was icy in some spots and quite dangerous.  We made it to
Charlie's Bunion and enjoyed the view, but then our next stop was Peck's
Corner shelter.  Keep in mind that this was only a 10+ mile hike, but
for a beginner it felt like a thousand.  I remember in some places I
thought I was going to lose my lunch I was so fatigued.  I was the "map
guy", and being the map guy I felt we should check it every 30-45
minutes or so.  I could've sworn that we would reach the shelter just on
the other side of Laurel Top.  As we were aproaching the next mileage
sign, I was convinced it would say "Peck's Corner Shelter   0.5".  It
didn't.  It was "only" another 2 miles, and it was getting dark.  I
remember hanging over the sign it utter disappointment.  My brother said
later that he never saw a more more hopeless look in his life -- his
brother just hanging on the sign wanting it all to end.  We finally made
it to the shelter, and I nearly cried from relief.  I just wanted to
sleep.  I used my jacket as a sleeping pad (not comfortable) and had a
hard time getting any sleep, as I had never had mice sniffing my ears
while I was sleeping (or anytime for that matter).  OK -- I exaggerated,
they didn't sniff my ears, but they were real close.
    The next morning, I felt great.  Probably because I made it through
that grueling day.  It was very cold, but I made some coffee, which
warmed me up and got me going.  I was actually the first one ready to
go.  The rest of the hike was easy and enjoyable.  We had wonderful
views of the surrounding mountains as we hiked the ridgeline and
straddled the TN/NC border.  It was reviving.  The first day was all
pain and despair.  Now it was completely the opposite.  We had a _very_
short hike to Tricorner Knob and set up camp.  Decent night's sleep and
everything felt good.  Cosby Knob was the next day and it was all
downhill.  Great views and even though all the leaves had already
dropped, the trees were beautiful.  Stayed at Cosby knob and hiked out
the next day.  I was totally enjoying _everything_.  Pack felt good,
blisters were better, load felt lighter.  Hiked out to Big Creek Station
and then to Mtn Mama's.
    Learned a lot on that hike, the first in my backpacking experience
and on the AT.
    1) Keep going on.  You'll eventually get there.
    2) Pack light.
    3) Never wear cotton.
    4) Enjoy nature -- that's why you're out there.
    5) Break in your boots.
    6) If you're going to hike 11 miles in December, get an early start.

That's my story. I went from cussing the trail to falling in love with
it in two days.  I guess that's what the AT will do to you.

Voodoo Chile