Re: [at-l] The AT Stadium?

    It seems as if we've had this thread before, but now with a
different slant, i.e. the "sports" issue.  I try to practice the "hike
your own hike" philosophy, but I can see how the competitiveness of
running  the trail may offend or cause concern among some poeple.
    I have never thru-hiked the AT, but hope to some day.  Why?  Because
it would be something that would allow me to reflect on life, meet other
people, and experience nature.  But this experience would also be some
kind of "self-test", a challenge to my will, stamina, and basically my
mental and physical abilities.  The key word is challlenge.  This itself
is a major motivating factor for me to hike the trail someday, and I
imagine that I am not alone in this regard.  Don't misunderstand me --
the other reasons mentioned above are very important.  But there is the
question of  "Can I do it? -- Can I hike over 2,000 miles straight
thru?"  Now, what is so different about accepting this challenge
(distance) as compared to placing another challenge (time) along with
it?  It is just another dimension added to the self-imposed test of
abilities.
    I would have to ask this question -- Would anybody care if these
people (runners) were seeing how fast they could _walk_ the trail? Would
anybody care if they had a contest on who could walk the most miles in
one day?  This AT Thru-running seems to involve only a tiny number
(probably could count on one hand) of people, and it seems to be their
personal contest -- we just happen to know about it because of e-mail
and lists.  While hiking in GSMNP one time I met a woman who hiked from
Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in one day, no pack.  Started at dawn and
finished when it was dark.  She didn't run it, but is this any
different?  Should we care? I know I don't.
    I can't understand why anybody would want to run the entire trail.
But not many people understand why I want to hike the entire trail.  We
should not impose any rules or regulations about things we don't
understand. I could see it now:  Rule #1 -- anyone covering more than 25
miles in a day will be asked to remove him/herself from the trail.  Rule
#2 -- any person caught attempting to hike more miles than his/her
friend will be asked to quit.  Rule #3 .......etc.

Hike your own hike.

BTW -- finally got a trailname:

Voodoo Chile