Re: [at-l] Permit Fees / Volunteers

At 07:52 PM 6/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Although I abhor the thought of government intervention in anything, an AT
>hiking permit, whether it is for Thru-Hiking, Day-Hiking, Section-Hiking
>will serve to restrict the kind of people who are not serious about hiking,
>as we see it.  Casual hikers who want to use the trail would be subject to
>the same regulations.  Those bent on vandalizing, littering, and partying
>along the trails are not likely to invest in a permit and would not be
>willing to face the risk of being fined, not having one.  A permit system
>would help to "purify" and preserve the Appalachian Trail that we love.

I concur with the prior observation that it'll never happen. To start with
there are too many access points to police. Even if you could get all the
jurisdictions to agree on the system and it's rules, which is extremely
unlikely.

>The White Mountain National Forest imposes a daily or season parking permit
>for vehicles parking at any trail or landmark facilities.  At first I was
>outraged, but now I can actually find a place to park.  The dumpsters are
>more frequently dumped, the toilet facilities are cleaner, and the trails
>are better monitored and maintained.  Litter on many of the "formerly
>heavily traveled" trails has also decreased.  This is a plus.

It works on that scale because the access is limited and all under the
National Forest Service.

>Gulf Hagas can be accessed either north from Baxter State Park or south
>from Shaw's in Monson.  However, at midpoint, you can drive in on a
>privately maintained road, pay the toll (vehicle plus passengers) for the
>privilege of passing or accessing the AT Trail.  If, however, you are a
>member of the Appalachian Trail Club and are a volunteer maintainer, you
>can pass and park for free.  This is one benefit for being a maintainer.
>Though this is a gesture of good will from the owners of this tract of land
>containing Gulf Hagas, I believe this attitude could also be adopted by the
>National Park Service.

I wish the Adirondack Mountain Club was a generous. I'm a lean-to adopter
(maintainer) and still have to pay to park even when I'm doing my maintenance.

>Few users of the Appalachian Trail actually volunteer their time to help
>maintain it.  I think that those who are willing to offer their time and
>expertise to make it more passible and safer could receive a "pass" for
>using the trail.  Others who will eventually have to purchase a permit to
>use the AT need to be mindful that the land aquistion, and the maintenance
>of the trail is not free.

I'm all in favor of giving back to the trails we use.

>I would agree that money could be better spent (expensive outhouses and
>shelters), but when you consider that the AT passes through so many states,
>it is perhaps more logical for it to fall under one jurisdiction with one
>set of guidelines.

How do you get a trail that goes through 13 states under on jurisdiction?
It already is in one sense but we're talking about a whole new level of
governance here. Where did this discussion come from? I don't mean 'which
list?' Has this been proposed by the ATC or the Federal government?

Saunterer