[at-l] Records

There is no official record for transporting a body from one end
of the AT to the other. No responsible AT organizations recognizes
such a record. There is no set course on which a valid record
could be set in the first place (the AT changes in distance almost
weekly). At best someone could claim to have covered the entire
Trail with the best average mileage per day, since the length of
the Trail is not constant. Plus, catering to this kind of thing
creates an unhealthy spirit of competition in AT circles, imo.
Already this year I have had an inquiry questioning the integrity
of one of the participants by backers of the other. And this with
only two involved! What kind of Trail will we have when there are
a dozen attempting to run for the glory (err, record) in the years
to come?--WF