[at-l] New Boots

With fear and trembling I took the plunge yesterday and
bought a pair of Vasque Alpha GTX boots.  Gore-Tex lined,
the uppers are about 50% cloth (better breathing, less
support I assume) which is probably the right mix for my
mostly weekend usage. Oh, they're size 9, regular footbed.

I am the proud owner of size 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 duck feet, with
wide, stubby toes that often are cramped in single-E width
shoes.  In addition, one big toe (broken a decade ago) is
a bit arthritic.

I've been breaking the boots in since yesterday noon, and except
for some lower shin pressure, they haven't bothered me at all.
Arch support seems about right.  They do flex just above my
big toe's arthritic joint (arrgh), but the discomfort there
is pretty minimal.

Since most of my hikes are weekends, on trails, with sub-40
pound loads, I think (hope!) I got the right pair.  I'll let
y'all know Monday or Tuesday -- I'm gonna go out for 4 days
and 3 nights starting Friday at noon.

					-Tom Williams