[at-l] Re:Tornadoes

A while back there was a discussion either here or on the other list about
tornadoes and how you didn't have to worry about them in the mountains. The
last 5 days have again proved that this is not true here in PA. On Tuesday
evening 32 suspected tornadoes swept through the state. On Sunday and
Tuesday  tornadoes went through Somerset County, the county with mt. Davis,
the highest point in the state., as well as other high points associated
with the Laurel Highlands. The one on Sunday killed two people and
completely leveled a town.
Here in Central PA we live in the valley between two ridges, Tussey (2200
ft) and Stone Mtn. The valley itself is hilly with several somewhat shorter
ridges (1900 to 2000 ft).  Two tornadoes were reported to come over Tussey
from Centre Co.
A tornado came through about 10 years ago about 1 mile from our house,
ripped roofs off of barns and houses close to us and ripped huge trees out
of the ground in Rothrock State Forest. The population density was very low
in its path so lives were not lost, but we are awestruck at the devastation
in its path.

Deb G.

Deborah S. Grove, Ph.D.
Manager of the Nucleic Acid Facility