RE: [at-l] Permits to thru hike?

I also missed the message that originated this thread.  I assume it was
posted on another list, and somebody cross-posted a response.  Now the issue
has been transplanted onto AT-L, but those of us who are only on this list
are left in the dark about the context of its origin.  I do wish that folks
who are on multiple lists would be more careful about how they address

But since the topic is here, I wanted to respond to one post...

Of course the word "enforcement" has a place on the AT.  All federal laws,
and state laws of the states the AT passes through, apply to those on and
off the trail equally. Some places the trail passes through (parks) have
additional regulations which only apply to those on the trail.  Applicable
laws and regulations should be (and hopefully will be) "enforced" as much on
the trail as anywhere else.

I think that most people do have an enhanced sense of freedom on the trail,
but I don't think this comes from a lack of applicable and enforceable
regulations.  And I hope it doesn't come from a feeling that being on the
trail gives you the freedom to act in ways that you wouldn't do if your
mother were there.  (Nude hiking with Mom anyone?)

For me, I think the sense of freedom comes more from being able to break
away from the patterns and trappings of everyday life.  A certain amount of
regulation is required in order to maintain the feeling of "away-ness".  As
more and more pressure is inevitably put on the AT, it's easy to foresee the
day when more regulation, like permits of some sort, may be required.

But, I don't think we've reached that point yet.

Peter