[at-l] Thruhiker permits

The PCT already requires permits to hike - whether in sections or in
toto. Used to be you had to apply to each forest separately for a
camping permit and a fire permit (though maybe they were the same?) It
is only in the past 3 years that you could go through the PCTA and get a
single permit for the whole trail plus Whitney. Theoretically you are
supposed to get a permit any time you camp in the state forests in
Pennsylvania, though I know of no one who actually does that. We tried
to get a permit once - but the offices are closed over the weekend. We
rarely plan far enough in advance to get them by mail. That is one of
the advantages of eastern hiking over western - they started requiring
permits long ago. I really hate it, since I like spur of the moment
decisions on where I am going. It is so much fun to wake up on a
beautiful day and say, "I think I'll go backpacking today." Much better
than having to make reservations months in advance.  But the day will
probably come for the eastern trails as well. The bean counters always
seem to prevail in the end.

Ginny