Re: [at-l] Permits to thru hike?

In a message dated 6/3/98, 4:03:06 PM, dopp@ncfrpc.org writes:

<<Enforcement could occur in a manner similar to that employed in the
California-based national parks, where rangers spot-check hikers for
permits.  While they check a small percentage of the hikers, its enough to
make you think twice about hiking without a permit (heck, don't they do
this already in GSMNP?).  While its a bit of a hassle to get a permit, I've
always been able to get one.>>

I must have missed the original post - regardless of how much of a hassle it
is, or isn't, what was the point?  Of having AT hiker permits, I mean? If I
could read the original post, maybe I would understand.  Are we talking about
permits to hike ANY on the AT, or permits for just Thru Hikers, or what?
Unless it's for safety reasons (which I think the trail registers, etc serve
the same purpose) I vote NO.  We need permits to do everything in life
nowadays, it seems.  I'd like to keep the Trail one place I don't require a
permit or license to be.

The Redhead
Ga > Me  00