Re: [at-l] Trail Magic - The downfall of the AT?

The AT is what it has always been a foot trail from Georgia to Maine or Maine
to Georgia. It has been relocated in some area's. Some relocations have been
good, some have not. They were all made for good reasons. The pathway maybe
dirt, gravel, grass, wood chips, rocky, asphalt or concrete. It is still a
foot path.

The hiker's are still from all walks of life. If their is any downfall, it's
not the AT. It is in my opinion. A few ex-thru-hiker's, with all the best
intentions, wanting to give something back to the trail. Desides the best way
is to go out and feed some thru-hikers. These should not be on the trail or at
a trail shelter. They can be at a picnic area near the trail. Put a sign on
the trail, giving the location of the party. Leave the shelter for what they
were put there for. A place for hikers to sleep and rest.

The term "Trail Magic" has been over used. The "I will be at this location, at
this time and date, stop by, we will have burger's, soda's ect." this is not
"Trail Magic"
It is nice for someone to do this. A thru-hiker passing up free food. They
must be sick.

Trail Magic can be alot of things.
This is a list of things that have happen to me and/or to other thru-hiker
that I have hiked with.

1. A thru-hiker had blisters on top of blisters, meets a day hiker, who
happens to be a foot Doctor. The Doctor theats his feet and then takes him to
this home and lets the hiker stay there until he is well. No Charge.

2. Coming to a road crossing and seeing your name on bag hanging from a tree.
Inside are soda's  and food. If was left there by some day hikers, you met the
day before.

3. You slip on a tree root, fall and put a hole in your leg. Hike another 5-6
miles to a road. The only vehicle you see is going out of town. They stop and
ask if you need help. Then they turn around and drive you to a Doctor.

Wildbill
GA to ME 89
GA to ME to GA 92-3