Re: [at-l] hike VS family

***fwd by Milt***

At 06:29 AM 5/27/98 +0000, you wrote:

>... me to your list.  I feel that family is more important than
>anything else in my life.  Then come hiking and canoeing.
>
>Bob Dudley
>Grey Owl

Folks seem to be missing the fact that Daredhead's Mom is part of her
family too. Are we to focus exclusively on our children until the day they
leave home to the exclusion of all others in our lives? I've seen
"families" like that. They usually don't last and the kids end up being
brats. In my family there have been times that one relationship demanded
more attention than others for a while. Sometimes it was a child, sometimes
a parent, sometimes my wife. If everyone is psychologically healthy it
shouldn't be a large problem and in those cases where a problem arises you
deal with it at the time.

I didn't hear Red say she was leaving her children for 6 months to do a
thru-hike come hell or high water. She is including her children to the
extent possible and I suspect, given the concern she expressed, that if it
proved to be a bad idea partway through, she would leave the trail. So
knock off the guilt trip already.

Saunterer

Jim & Diane Bullard
PO Box 5, West Stockholm, NY 13696 USA