Re: [at-l] camping

Eric A. Lyngaas wrote:

> Hey guys,
>     I'm going to be hiking the trail in '99 and I was wondering......
> How easy is it to avoid staying in the shelters?  It seems that people
> are complaining about how crowded they are and about how rodent infested
> they are.  Does the idea of avoiding the shelters have any merit what so
> ever?  I'd appreciate any input that you folks have on this matter.  Do
> my compadres and I have to stay in designated camping areas?  If so, are
> they located frequently enough on the trail for a camping only to even
> be possible?  Are there any publications that would give me some insight
> into this matter?  I have lots of hiking experience and none of it is on
> our beloved trail so I really don't have much of an idea about what it's
> like out there.  Thanks for any input that you will be able to give me.
>
> Eric

Camping is easy and freely available.  Most shelters have camping areas
nearby. If not, you can get water at the shelter, and move on, or cook
at the shelter area and move on later.  I know people who make a point
of camping at all the good overlooks and high points that way.  Problem
is that the water is usually at or near the shelters.  The AT tries to
be a ridge trail, so water sources tend to be spaced out.  The only
place where camping is restricted to "designated areas" is in
Connecticut - but the camp areas are nice, and its a small state.  There
are some restrictions in the National Parks, but they aren't really a
problem.  Even the Smokies has had to ease up becuase of the crowds
coming through.  (Used to be you were not allowed to camp outside the
shelters. Now it is hard to get in them.) Many people tent the whole
way. I don't think my husband slept in a shelter more than a dozen times
on his thruhike. Many people with dogs, or who snore, make a conscious
decision to avoid the shelters in order to avoid disturbing others.
Others just avoid the shelters because of the crowding, noise and rodent
problems.  On the other hand, they are a social center, and can be fun
so people like to camp nearby.  Best of both worlds. Many use the
shelters because they don't have much camping experience.  It is much
easier to cope with wet weather indoors - and the AT has a lot of wet
weather.  If you have experience though, that shouldn't be too much of a
problem.

Ginny Owen
AT 88 & 92