Re: [at-l] Slackpacking

Grey Owl wrote:

>OK, I have heard enough about slack packing.  For a community that
>has as it motto hike your own hike, you all are sure trying to get a
>lot of people to hike your hike.  You think Pittsburgh is in it for
>the money (maybe), you think he is ruining the 'trail experience'
>(Read Ben and Gay's journal at Trail Place), what is your problem?
>The most important thing is the outdoor experience.  On the East
>Coast there is no wilderness left.  The forest on the AT are all
>second and third growth.  Some of the land has been farmed and at one
>time or another it was all owned by private indivduals.  It is not
>natural, but that should not stop us from enjoying it to the best of
>our ability and if Pittsburgh can help people who otherwise cannot,
>then more power to him.  Now let us go back to hiking.
>
>Bob Dudley
>Grey Owl

I propose to open an AT amusement park that features all
the trail stuff for the rest of America to see. Wanna go?
Oh, a major movie co. is planning to make a big-screen
release of an adventurous thru-hike starring Johnny Depp
and Whoopi Goldberg. Boy, I hope that generates protection
of the trail.....

Love the trail to death?  OK, what terms?  Heighten its popularity
by lessening its challenge?  Whatever.  Hike your own hike
is pretty much a saying that can mean anything as long as
the majority agrees.