Re: Fw: [at-l] Thru-hike questions

Felix wrote:
 > Looking for suggestions/recommendations for starting (at Katahdin) and
 > then hiking the 100 m. Wlderness. I'd planned on starting at Roaring
 > Brook CG, but am open to suggestions. >>
     If you stay at Katahdin Stream Campground you can leave your packs on
Ranger Bruce's porch and use daypacks to go up and down the Hunt trail. The
Daicy Pond shelters are a couple of flat miles passing Moose ponds beyond KSC.
There's 2 small shelters there reserved for thru-hikers. They're beside a
field and a parking lot, not by the Pond.
     Staying at Roaring Brook allows you the easiest way up Katahdin, via the
Chimney Pond and Saddle trails, and then down the Hunt. Personally I'd go up
and down out of Katahdin Stream.
      Shaw's ( and someone else? ) will do middle of the 100 mile resuppy, (
60$? ) I don't believe the Abol Stream Campground does maildrops. They're
really nice folks, though!
      If you don't have reservations at Baxter yet, you should call ahead, and
mail in a.s.a.p.( 207.723.5140 )
      Happy Trails!!
      TJ