Re: [at-l] first aid kit revisions

At 10:54 AM 5/26/98 -0700, Rhymi girl wrote:
>PILLS/TABLETS
>
>inflammatory
>electrolyte (is this used to give you energy?)

Try Gatorade power. Works well as a sports drink, has sugar and electrolytes,
probably costs less.

>anti-diarrheal*
>theraflu/antihistamine

Try a simple benadryl. This would be an excellent "bee/wasp sting kit"  if
you've never been exposed to them

>multi-vitamin
>back-up water purification
>*may not be able to take pepto-bismal because vegan

Why would "vegan" be a problem with pepto-bismol?

>HYGIENE
>
>toothpaste
>toothbrush
>small hairbrush
>scissors/nail clippers (swiss army)
>anti-bacterial soap (do i need a biodegratable? are there any rules for
>this one?)
>foot powder
>(do any of you take shampoo? do you take showers in town, and thus do
>not need to? we might not want to take treks into town, so i was
>wondering)
>
>FIRST-AID/ACHES/PAINS
>
>neosporin

Instead of food powder, consider a general talcum powder and a general
antifungal, antibacterial ointment (triple antibiotic usually suffices)

>moleskin
>1/2 oz. mirror (no hospitals for cysts for me! :-))
>tweezers (swiss army)
>sterile wipes
>tape (duct most recommended)
>mini lighter/matches (which is recommended most? both?)
>pantyhose (for warmth as well as emergency wraps, sling)
>ace bandage
>reg. bandaids
>safety pins
>alcohol for foot rubs

Why? cold water, warm hands, and other handy things would be as good with less
weight. Consider a bit of vodka or bourbon as a dual use ingredient, if you
insist.

>2nd skin kit (sorry- a must for us)
>square bandaids (does this come in the second skin kit?)
>
>OTHER
>
>knee brace (also a must)
>bug repellant
>whistle 'round neck
>tick remover

What was the tweezer for?

>yellowjacket kit*
>* I have never been stung by anything, is it possible to die from these
>if severely allergic? any others common to be deadly allergic to?)

see above

Why so many bandaids. Bring a bit of gauze, use the duct tape. As a potential
dual use, monthly pads work as excellent wound dressings. You might also
consider bicarb. It is excellent for insect stings, toothpaste, and heartburn.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA