Fw: Re: [at-l] A bag question

 >> DaRedhead wrote:  So of the
> > other options out there, what is the experience with it, what worked well,
> > what didn't?

>Kahley responded:
> You may not want to hear this, but.....
> I've decided the best way to handle this is to buy three bags.
> Start with a 10 or 15 degree (I intend on starting early).
> Switch to a lighter bag when it's safe.  And finally a summer blanket.
> Reverse order up north (I intend on finishing late).  I've agonized
> over this...I'm noted for my frugality.  I just can't see anyway of
> being relatively sure I'll be able to sleep well without carrying any
> extra unnecessary weight.  Anyone else do it this way?????

Redhead,
If cost is an issue, the same goal can be ascertained by using only one bag and
buying a liner for it. You can get bag liners that add 20 degrees to the temperature
rating of your bag. This way, if you are worried about needing a bag warmer than a
20 degree (which i would say is the more common temp rating for bags used by
thru-hikers in colder weather) you can just take/send the liner as opposed to
switching out a new bag each time. As for my personal experience, i used a 20 degree
REI synthetic mummy-bag that was about 3 years old for my thru-hike last year. I
didn't start until April 7th, so while i still got some winter weather, it was
nothing like you should expect if you start in February to Mid-March. I went without
a sleeping bag from Tyro, VA to Tyrringham, MA. I used a 3/4 length fleece blanket
during that time that cost somewhere around 15 to 20 dollars. I probably should have
gotten my bag back before Tyrringham, though :-) I then got my 20 degree bag back,
and carried it for the rest of the trip (the blanket was mailed home). I didn't
summit Katahdin until October 29th, and had plenty of nights where the temperature
dropped well below freezing (the  entire 100 mile Wilderness comes to mind). I slept
in clothes and a "polar-tech" type toboggan (sp?) and was uncomfortable due to the
cold only once or twice while sleeping. I was _never_ dangerously cold. I can't help
you on what kind of fill my bag uses... i don't pay a lot of attention to gear
details like that. One last recommendation... i'd ask around about the type of bag
you get before buying it....temp ratings are kind of like the weights that
manufacturers give... sometimes on the money, sometimes a "generous estimate". HTH!
Peace.

-Rambleon-
rambleon@email.unc.edu