Re: [at-l] hello

<<
 How many man that thru hiked left a 4-year-old? and if you waited why did you
 wait?  I think the kid is being left by the wayside by adults who are
 thinking..."do anything you want....who cares."  The person who offered
 psychiatric help was thinking....but then that interfered with hike.  Can't
 have a little thing like children interfering with a hike can we.

How unfortunate that human nature is to judge others by our own standards.  It
sounds as if you have poor examples in your life to judge by.  You say you
missed your Mother.  Let me ask this personal question...I feel I have the
right since you feel empowered to ascribe selfish motives to my family.  Do
you have children?  And are you happily married?  If so I am happy for you.
If not...and for some reason the court awarded custody or even shared custody
to the father...would you consider this cruel neglect on the part of the
court?  Do you think fathers have any less love and values to share with a
child than the mother does?  My granddaughter loves her father and I assure
you he is besotted with her.  I would not for one minute think that her living
with him for 6 months, 6 yrs or her entire life would be a hardship on her.
As long as both parents love the child, nuture that child, and live a life
that teaches by example the christian values of compassion, respect for self
and for others etc, there is room in the relationship to live your own life at
the same time.  In fact it is imperative to teach by example the ability to be
independent, self reliant, and instill in a child a self respect that will
enable them to go through life independent of others for their own happiness.

This is my belief....and I, like others, judge by MY standards.  But unlike
some...my standards are quite high.  I believe the father is just as important
to a child as the mother.  And as cabable.  That is, of course, based on my
example of choosing a good man to be the father of your child.  Letting him
raise Cassy for 6 months is hardly "leaving her by the wayside."

I apologize to others on the list who find this subject distasteful, out of
context, and totally un-hike related.  I agree...but I can not sit by while
someone accuses my daughter of neglect or equally evil actions simply because
she trusts Toney to take good care of Cassy for 6 months while she does
something that will make her a better person in the long run.  And set an
example for Cassy that will give her the courage to take on difficult goals,
the knowledge that it is ok, even imperative, to follow your dreams and more
important than anything else...teach her to live life every day...not wait for
that 'some day' that may never come.

Patty
Ga > Me 00