[at-l] Re: A Borg in our midst?

In a message dated 5/25/98 12:13:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
slackpacker@juno.com writes:

<< Discussion about these changes is healthy, but resistance to
 these changes is futile. >>

Has Pittsburgh been assimilated by the Borg?  Is Wingfoot playing the part of
Jean Luc?  Will Pittsburgh fall victim to the relentless Borg or will he
succeed as Jean Luc Picard did after he was assimilated and took on the Trail
-- I mean Borg -- name, Locutus?  Will the Slackpack Tour '98 be the Borg's
advance stronghold on Earth?

Damn!  I leave for a peaceful Memorial Day weekend snorkeling trip to a coral
reef in the Florida Keys -- yes, as a matter of fact I AM rubbing it in! --
and I come back and Earth is about to be run over by the merciless Borg!  I
just knew something like this would happen if I left you guys alone for a few
days...  Luckily I've returned to take charge!!

Strange thing though, the Borg message usually is, "Resistance is futile.  You
will be assimilated."  As I read this string on trail magic, Pittsburgh speaks
the first line and, as to the 2nd, Wingfoot sure seems to want to assimilate
everyone with his humble pronouncements.  So maybe there is an unholy alliance
between them as they seek to conquer the Earth and share the spoils of plunder
between them.  Upon reflection, can't you see how alike they both are?  <v v v
v v v v v v b g>  It must be the Borg collective conscience.

As I see it our only hope now is to throw ourselves to the mercy of "Q" who
graces this list and the trail from time to time under his pseudonym "Felix."
(You didn't think Felix was human -- or mere mortal -- did you?)

So join me now, my fellow hikers, in this darkest hour of humanity, and
channel your thoughts with me in an attempt to contact Felix:

"Hear us, O omnipotent hiker, come directly to Earth from your
interdimensional palace where the other members of the "Q" continuum make you
landscape the grounds.  We prostrate ourselves and beseech you to rid our
planet of the Borg influence in the persons of Pittsburgh and Wingfoot.
Please make our world safe again for hikers!"

Happy trails,

Solar Bear