Re: [at-l] A bag question

To the Redhead,

On my thru-hike in '95 I carried an external frame pack and my sleeping bag
was always carried on the outside. My bag never got wet. I lined the stuff
sack with a kitchen trash can liner and then stuffed the bag as per usual. I
used the Camp Trails one-size-fits-all pack cover when it rained and the pack
never got wet. Even as it sat out in countless storms overnight propped
against a tree while I slept.

I hiked solo and tented most every night to avoid groups and shelter areas. So
I didn't have to worry about rain getting in under a tarp or blowing in the
foot end of a shelter.

I sleep cold and have a tendency towards hypothermia as soon as I stop hiking,
even in mild weather. So I went prepared when I started at Springer on the 1st
of March. I already had a North Face Cat's Meow (2lbs. 14 oz.) for years which
is rated at 20 degrees but I bought the North Face Big Foot (4lbs.!!) which is
rated at minus 5. Definitely overkill for most but a necessity for me. The
extra weight was worth the comfort and I carried it all the way to Damascus
where I then picked up the Cat's Meow. I climbed Katahdin on the 30th of
September and the nights up North did get cold. But.... I found that as my
metabolism increased I slept warm every night and never did get the Big Foot
back for the end. If I found it difficult to shake the chill when I first
climbed into my bag I boiled up a quart of water and filled my Nalgene bottle
which made an excellent hot water bottle. What a luxury that was. I will never
find the words to explain the...... satisfaction.

The month or so that it was too warm I slept on top of the bag. I kept it with
me the whole time though not bothering to send it ahead.

I think the fill in these bags is Polarguard 3D. The Big Foot has a microfiber
shell (70 denier) which is water, wind and UV resistant, and highly breathable.

One major problem with the Big Foot is that it's bloody bulky! My very first
morning trying to stuff it brought fits of belly laughter from my sheltermate
'Dances With Blisters' who quickly dubbed the beast 'Godzilla Bag' as it took
my entire body to contain the thing and then a foot to stomp it into the sack
as I tightened the cord!

Tracy

'Harper's Fairy'  GA-Me '95