Re: [at-l] A bag question

DaRedhead wrote:

> In a message dated 98-05-25 09:52:56 EDT, thewitt@fairchildsemi.com writes:
>
> << Why? Because I like dry things, even if
>  they are packed inside waterproof bags. I may be anal in this regard, but my
>  gear will be dry. Period. >>
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  It's the best method I've ever heard of :)  Your
> post was very imformative, I will print it out and add it to all the advice
> <g> My bag goes on the outside of my pack, because I'm carrying an external
> frame . . . maybe thats why I had a problem with a wet bag :)  Any ideas for
> keeping it dry when it has to be carried outside the pack? :)

I'm only a recent convert - 5 years or so - to internal frame packs, so my
"system" has been in use for outside packing of bags for years. The only
variations that it has been through are in the material I used for bags.

The initial system was a nylon stuff sack, a heavy plastic bag, then another
nylon external stuff sack to protect the waterproof bag. I have changed this
for the high quality coated nylon waterproof stuffsack - the kind specifically
made for paddlers - and done away with the plastic bag and the external nylon bag.

When I carried my bag outside my pack, I also carried my sleeping pad and my
tent outside. They both went into a nylon stuff sack as much to keep them from
slipping around as anything. This bag provided additional protection but it
was not waterproof per se. I sewed loops on both ends of this nylon bag to
help secure it to my pack frame. These little loops would simply slip over the
top frame members of my Kelty pack and prevent any side slipping. It worked
very well.  My sleeping bag and raingear usually  went on the bottom together
- sleeping bag secured in first, raingear on next so it was easily accessable
without opening any of the pack's flaps.

The only thing I don't like about my internal (a Gregory Shasta) is it's lack
of external pockets. I am still not quite used to only having a top pocket
(raingear & trail food) and an add-on back pocket (stove and fuel).

-Paddler (GA>ME 99)