[at-l] dan's post

At 09:29 AM 5/25/98 EDT, you wrote:
>But I am disturbed that Dan thinks that HIS
>view should be THE view. Who died and made him
King?

No one, of course. However, I am at the center for
feedback from users on the AT. Each year I get more
than 5000 telephone calls from AT users, about 2300
letters, and God only knows how many emails now (at
least 100+ from AT hikers on most days). In addition,
I am in regular contact with almost all of the folks
who provide services along the AT, and with many of
the AT club and other management people. So, when
I raise a question or take a position, it isn't a
casual thing. It is done after a great deal of
thought, and based on probably the most thorough
evaluation of user moods done by anyone in AT circles,
and is not based on just MY view of things. Others
are free to diagree, but do not consider what I do
to be a personal campaign to get MY way on the AT.
As I have done for more than 12 years, I am seeking
to bring about an AT that preserves what most folks
seem to be seeking when they visit the AT. If I see
a threat to the health of thru-hiking or the AT, I
speak out. No apologies. I've paid my dues.--WF