[at-l] Re: Lamar's post on '98 scene

Catching up on posts, must concur:

=== from Lamar (Hopeful):
In addition to being a want-a-be, I work for one of the largest companies
in America. It is in fact one of the largest companies in the world.
After trying to be a "good employee" for 20 years, I realized I was
literally killing my own self in the process. Greed is like fire in that
it is never satisfied. The more that is given to my company and many
others to be sure, the more that is wanted and expected. Stay with me,
this is actually going some where.

I am also involved in some "charitable" organizations. I should say that
I was. Politics. In my urban existence, I don't find a lot that I really
like. I have a good family life. I own a nice house, I like to dig in my
flowers and such.. But once I get in the car and head to work my life
takes a noticeable turn for the worse.
===

Been here, done this, and I'm only 36! Part of what lead me to AT-L and
backpacking was trying to get back to my roots, which seemed to be
destroyed by the post-college days. I still feel like I'm trapped in a
quagmire, even while trimming back responsibilities. Thankfully I have no
kids. I'm still eyeing the trail for 2001, and hope I can get everything
settled out by then: right now I'm experiencing the highest highs and the
lowest lows of my life. My sister struggles with a brain tumor; I land a
book contract. My husband loses his job; he has a year off to "find
himself," and six months later, he still doesn't have a clue. I feel
strained by the pressure to keep working as many hours as I can while
writing these books (at least they'll give me income while I'm on the
trail!). My emotions are taut in every direction, and I feel ready to burst.

Ginny had a good point earlier in the week to Da Redhead, basically that to
live these sorts of dreams you have to live in the moment, and from what
I've seen, life in modern America just doesn't act that way. My little
glimpse of life in Greece says the Europeans have a better handle on it,
which is probably why my sisters moved there and stayed. We have like
needs, it seems.

Pardon my need to reach out and blather...I could use a walk in the woods
right now.
Cheers,
Sandy

GA->ME 2001  Visit my chunk of the outdoors:
http://www.nb.net/~downs/downsou.htm