Re: [at-l] first-aid kit

I would like to second the suggestions of others about a "roll your own" first
aid kit. The idea of 1 or 2 baggies with your medicines, band aids, moleskin,
and such is very good. I see no reason for heavier red nylon red cross kits
that make it harder to take an inventory of what you have and what you need.

Checking with your pharmacist and doc are good ideas. I would carry
multipurpose medication such as PeptoBismol which gives good anti diarrheal,
gastritis and heartburn relief (tabs only). Any good Motrin like drug is a good
idea. I personally carry 1-2 doses of a medium potency narcotic for injury or
fractures, but have never needed it. I agree that a knee brace can be helpful
to newer hikers. I would pay most attention to the excellent note from terry.
There is no need to bring a snake bite kit (unless your small children still
are scared of going without it).

The medicines should either be in individual dose packs or in  small baggies
(like jewelers use to hold parts) and wrapped in the middle of a sock or gauze.
No need to bring silk tape or bandages - Duct tape and gauze really work quite
well. (check to assure you are not allergic first).

You should also consider a whistle as part of your first aid kit. If you fall
or get lost, a whistle is you best single piece of gear to help get found.
Remeber your favorite choice of water treatment. Always carry some iodine for
just in case of a broken filter. I would expect that freshly treated water with
plenty of brown iodine in it would be a fair antiseptic cleansing agent (why
carry wipies?)

Great gear question!

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA