Re: [at-l] Ibuprofen (was: Here's my 'tuckerized' Pack and Pocketbook)

Drug information on aspirin and stuff -- (I thought I sent this out last
night but it didn't show up on today's digest -- apologize if this shows
up twice!)

Common over the counter (non-prescription) NSAIDS: aspirin, ibuprofen
(advil, motrin), naproxen (alleve), ketoprofen (orudis kt and actron).

Other products that contain aspirin derivatives: doans pills have
magnesium salicylate, pepto bismol has bismuth subsalicylate. Aspirin is
converted to salicylic acid when it gets in your body -- salicylate is
another name for salicylic acid, so look for this ingredient if you have
a problem with aspirin.  There are a whole lot of prescription
medications not listed here that are of the NSAID drug class, too.

Very few people are truly allergic to aspirin, but as Dr. Thorneloe
said, there are some complications with these drugs if you have a
history of gi bleeds or ulcers.  These drugs may also be a problem for
people taking certain blood pressure medications.

Related to the bleeding issue is the fact that NSAIDS (aspirin by far)
may intensify the effects of certain drugs like coumadin and ticlid
(blood thinners).  My guess is that not too many people hiking the trail
are taking these medications.  Also, maybe becuase of the fact you will
receive chemotherapy or cancer treatment which itself may decrease the
ability of your blood to clot, could be a reason to steer clear of these
drugs.  Tylenol is a great drug -- but its not an antiinflammatory,
which is the kind of drug you would most likely need after hiking those
killer uphills.  Hope this helps.  Again -- sorry for the double post
(if it occurred!!)

Bruce

--
Bruce Waldrop, RPh