Re: [at-l] Maildrop Alert, Garderns Pa.

Tom
Mail addressed to general delivery should be kelp at the post office. If the
Ironmasters Mansion Hostel and/or the General Store want to offier there
places as a maildrop location. You need to publish your addresses for the
hiker's to use, to mail there packages to your place's.
_________________________________
Patty
Correct way to address mail drops:

Mail drop to a post office:
Your Name
C/O General Delivery
City, State, Zip Code

Mail drop to other location:
Your Name
C/O Name a person and/or business
City, State, Zip Code

On the package put the following statement:

Please Hold For AT Hiker.
Est. Pickup Date:________________.

Wildbill
In a message dated 98-05-12 13:48:31 EDT, dpmgr.amc@paonline.com (Tom Ha)
writes:

> Subj:	 [at-l] Maildrop Alert, Garderns Pa.
>  Date:	98-05-12 13:48:31 EDT
>  Reply-to:	tomha@epix.net

>  I was just at the Gardners, Pa Post Office and was asked to see that word
> was passed on to everyone current/future thru-hiking re: the Post Office.
The
> postal employee (who has been there for 14 years) is faced with a quandary
that
> he would like to have resolved as best as is possible. He receives mail
drops
> nearly daily, and while he holds them for the mandatory 10 days, and more if
he
> has the space available, he gets many that are sent to him as "general
delivery".

>  And there's the rub... What the vast majority of thru-hikers don't realize
> is that while we (at Ironmasters Mansion Hostel), and the "General Store"
next
> door both have Gardners mailing addresses... the Post Office itself is about
6
> miles as the crow flies, and closer to 10 miles away as a road-walk.
>
>  The problem is, mail delivered to general delivery is not (technically)
> supposed to be sent on to us or the store. So any hikers that send there
stuff
> there would have to get there to get their stuff. And while the Post Office
does get
> the occassional hiker on their doorstep looking for a box, mostly the boxes
are
> either forwarded to us or the store (and picked up)(technically a no-no), or
> returned when the sender never shows.
>
>  I'd like to say also that we here at the Hostel will hold hiker boxes for 3
> months for someone to show up (or send us forwarding instructions), and even
> then we'll send a postcard to the return address asking for instructions,
before
> sending it back. The downside is that we're not always around during the day
(our > closed hours from 0930 to 1700) to give out boxes.