[at-l] FWD by Milt for Ron & Cheryl

From: "Ron & Cheryl" <solemates98@hotmail.com>
Subject: Solemates in Waynesboro, VA
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 06:51:15 PDT

     Well,  here we are, over 200 miles from Pearisburg, VA in only 2
days. No, we didn't hike 2 100-mile days (not yet anyway) :-) We decided
that we would leap-frog North to where we "should" be according to our
"tentative" schedule when we first planned this hike. So, after hiking 7
miles North out of Pearisburg, we spent the night at Star Haven Shelter
and on Mother's Day we hiked 7 miles South back into Pearisburg, got a
ride to Blacksburg, walked 7 miles on the road to Christiansburg, got a
ride from there to Troutville, spent the night in Troutville, got a ride
(in an 18-wheeler!) to Greenville, and 2 more rides got us into
Waynesboro Monday (5/11) afternoon.

      Several reasons for what we did - a few more days of rest so Ron
can fully recover from his cold, Cheryl's daughter will be joining us
for a week or more when school gets out and we want to be closer to
Massachusetts when that happens, Cheryl got a letter from her former
empoloyer asking her to come back to work in the fall, we were getting
discouraged with our slow progress and the rotten weather and Cheryl
almost said "I've had it. Let's go home.". This is a better alternative.
We're "back on track" and will proceed from here.

      It was better to make  the decision now than to wait until we were
so far behind that we just said "the heck with it". We're both very
happy with this decision - we're hiking our hike and doing whatever we
need to do to continue enjoying being out here.

      We've had almost 2 solid weeks of rain and it's quite
discouraging. Alot of hikers, along with us, are so tired of slogging
through the muddy trails, trying to cross swollen creeks, picking our
way along wet rocks, and attempting to smile while doing the above.

     If we receive our maildrop packages today we will head out 5/13 and
will actually be 2 or 3 days ahead of "schedule". The weather continues
to look lousy (it's raining right now) but we're feeling optimistic
about the rest of  our hike. Cheryl's knees are feeling great - a little
achy with all the dampness, but no more pain!!! Poison ivy is all
cleared up (finally). Ron's feeling much better but will have to build
up slowly, as he hasn't hiked much in the last week. We appreciate all
the encouragement we have been receiving from family, friends and even
total strangers. It means alot to us!

Cheryl & Ron

     Solemates
Appalachian Trail '98
   Georgia to Maine

Solemates Home Page:

Our Trail Journal - Available after March 1, 1998
http://trailplace.com/c98journals/225gaudreau/index.html

Other "Class of '98" Trail Journals:
http://trailplace.com/c98journals/anniversary.html