Re: [at-l] re: vegan hikers

As a vegan, you probably pay a lot of attention to nutrients.  With
thruhiking, there's a couple I would focus on specifically:  B vitamins
& calcium.  Nutritional surveys of hikers have shown common
defiiciencies in both, with shortages in calcium exacerbated by the lack
of the B-vitamin (I forget which one - who on the list is a
nutritionist?) that assists the body's calcium aborption.

Both are complicated by the difficulty of getting fresh vegies on the
trail, especially leafy vegetables.  Give the dehydrator a major
workout.   Also, pay close attention to the nutritional values of the
foods you take (many good ones have been recommended).  You may want to
consider supplements in addition.

Good luck.

- Priest