Re: [at-l] Basic questions

>  L. Covel
>  Silver Spring, MD
>  email: lcovel10@juno.com
>  Hi.  I am brand new to the list, have never hiked the AT, but camp a lot
>  and hike a lot.  I would like to start hiking on the AT in sections this
>  summer, mostly in MD and VA.  A few questions:
1) anything I should carry I might not think of?
            Must haves:
(1) Map  (2) Compass (3) Water (4) Extra food (5) Extra clothing (6)
Firestarter
(7) Matches (8) Swiss Army type knife (small) (9) First Aid Kit (10)
Flashlight .
You also may want to have the guide book for the section you are hiking.

2) how many miles can I expect to make in 6-8 hours, in good shape, etc.?

Plan on a average of 2 miles per hour plus 1 hour for each 1,000 feet of
vertical gain.

3) is it really a no-no to hike alone?  I would prefer it ( i am a girl).

You can hike anyway you like to. Alone or with others. DO NOT tell others
people you meet along the way were you will be camping a night. Leave a hike
plan with someone. That way if you do not return on time, they will know were
to start looking for you.

4)what kind of small flashlight would last the longest, for reading at night?

You want to read at night, I would get a headlamp or a Mag type 2-cell AA
flashlight with a headband holder. CAMPMOR has both. Call 1-800-525-4784 for a
catalog. They also have a web site.  URL:   http://www.campmor.com

5) any other good advice?

Be extra careful at road crossing's. If you camp, set you tent (or what ever
you are using) well off the trail and out of site of it. If you are going to
stay in a shelter: If there are other hiker in it and they ask if your
staying, say maybe and talk with them for awhile. If you DO NOT feel good
about them, move on and camp well off the trail.

> I am kind of intimidated by the level of expertise I hear on this list--can
>  novice, normal kind of day hiker do this?  Thanks.

Don't be initimidated, everyone had to start the same way. You can do
anything, you can put your mind on.

There are young, old, fast, slow, day, section and long distance hikers on the
AT. They all kike the same way, one foot in front of the other.

William
Trail name: Wildbill