Re: [at-l] Hiking without a pocketbook??

Eva Steele wrote:

> This is way too funny.<LOL> I can relate. I found myself thinking
> about my every day routines regarding doing the hair and makeup thing
> every morning and how different it will be when I do a thru. I
> couldn't imagine leaving the house without my makeup and hair done. I
> guess any of us that have this or any other routine don't realize
> what a different life we'll have out on the trail for 6 months or so.
> I'm sure it'll be a life changing experience, one I'm really looking
> forward to. I'll probably never do my hair and makeup again and will
> wonder why I felt I ever had to do it in the first place. Hmmmm...

When we were at Trail Fest, several of the female thru-hikers had solved
the "hair" problem by simply getting rid of most of it. Crystal
Theesfield's photo on trailplace.com looks nothing like her. All that
long hair is gone.I've known several female thru-hikers and they all
pretty much buzzed or significantly shortened their hair, carried no
make-up, deodorant, or other "necessary accouterments".

 Let's face it, you (male or female) eventually stink, and no amount of
chemicals are able to mask the smell.  Regular bathing is about the only
way to avoid this and that is not always possible, even on a week-long
hike, let alone a thru-hike. Pretty much everyone smells the same,
albeit in differing degrees, so a little b.o. shouldn't make you a
pariah.
--
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com