[at-l] Basic questions

L. Covel
Silver Spring, MD
email: lcovel10@juno.com
Hi.  I am brand new to the list, have never hiked the AT, but camp a lot
and hike a lot.  I would like to start hiking on the AT in sections this
summer, mostly in MD and VA.  A few questions:  1) anything I should
carry I might not think of?  2) how many miles can I expect to make in
6-8 hours, in good shape, etc.?  3)is it really a no-no to hike alone?  I
would prefer it ( i am a girl)  4)what kind of small flashlight would
last the longest, for reading at night? 5)any other good advice?  I am
kind of intimidated by the level of expertise I hear on this list--can a
novice, normal kind of day hiker do this?  Thanks.