[at-l] re: what goes?

>>>   On the trail, Wingfoot is pretty much a public figure in the gossip
circles and in the trail registers.   <<<

i agree.  way back in 92, before i had heard of the internet and the AT-L,
wingfoot was both lauded and reviled.  mostly it was not wingfoot, the man,
but wingfoot, the book.  you know how we all rant and rave at the map
profiles?  well, same thing at the info in the thruhiker's guide.
occasionally someone would disparage 'wingnut' directly, not just the book,
but that was rare.  i'm sure this has been going on since he took over the
philosopher's guide.  true, the info in the book is a reflection of dan's
competence as an editor and compiler of information.  but we all knew the
'facts' in the book were subject to change, and to rely on it completely
and utterly was silly.

anyway, registers have always been used, right or wrong, to applaud and
criticize people, places, beliefs, weather, regulations, equipment and so
on.  i think a register is a good place for opinion, but not libel.  and of
course, profanity is not needed, eloquence is much more effective.

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
mikeh@royalrobbins.com