[at-l] Lists

I think it is interesting to note that only a small
percentage of thru-hikers are on any list. My survey
of practically all 1997 thru-hikers showed 8%, and
this year there is only a slight increase to perhaps
12%, so these lists, be it AT-L, ATML, or AT 98, are
not a major factor in the thru-hiking scene. Plus,
on any of the aforementioned list, only a relatively
small percentage of members regularly participate,
and sometimes I suspect that even fewer read them.
Of the almost 1000 members of ATML, only about 60
regularly post, and the same is true of AT-L from
what I've seen. It's easy to think that those of
us on the internet are where it's happening, but in
AT thru-hiking circles, that is just not the case.
I talked with far more 1998 thru-hikers by telephone
and letter than on the lists (more than a thousand
Class of '98ers called me for info). The internet is
a good tool for getting information to folks, but in
AT circles, it is just beginning to make a mark, and
is probably several years away from having a major
influence.--WF